To ensure children are cared for and educated in a safe, stimulating and inviting environment, the centre has been designed with four large and spacious rooms into which children from six weeks to five years (the year before prep) are grouped.
These age groups are as follows:
- The Joeys’ Room caters for children from six weeks to two years.
- The Possums Room caters for children from two years to three years.
- The Emus’ Room caters for children from three years to four years.
- The Koalas’ Room offers an Approved Kindergarten Program within the long day care setting; catering to children 3.5 years to 5 years in the year before formal schooling
- After School Care (ASC) is available to children from Wellers Hill State School.
We have two LARGE exciting playgrounds – offering the children space to be physically and socially active while also supporting exploration and the chance to connect with nature.
Our largest playground offers beautiful shady trees, a huge sand pit, swings, climbing equipment, garden beds and a wide variety of resources to support exploration and experimentation.
Directly flowing off from their room, the Joeys (nursery) have their own playground. This allows them flexibility in routine as well as the ability to set up age appropriate equipment and materials. They can actively explore undisturbed in their own large space and on real grass too!
Nursery (6 weeks – 2 years)
Our team is 3 educators with 10 children
Educators in our youngest room work hard to ensure a smooth transition between home and the centre.
Our qualified, experienced educators provide care and support to enhance the individual, strengths, culture, ideas, abilities and interests of each precious child. In collaboration with families, and through play based learning, the nursery supports a sense of belonging while creating a calm atmosphere that is happy, positive, caring and fun to explore.
The Joey’s room includes – bedding provided – in a cosy temperature controlled separate sleeping area (SIDS safe sleeping guidelines are followed); a comfortable nappy change area; a feeding preparation kitchenette; a large shaded outdoor play space with child friendly planting and real grass!!
Toddlers (2 – 3 years)
Our team is 3 educators with 15 children
‘Toddlerhood’ is an active time for growth and development. It’s a time for exploration and experimentation physically, socially and emotionally; that time when “I do it” independence starts to blossom.
To actively support all these exciting needs and changes we have in-tune, sensitive educators working collaboratively with our toddlers and their families to offer a holistic approach to care and learning.
Our experienced educators (including a 4 year Early Childhood qualified teacher) ensure the exciting, flexible program, along with practices, reflect experiences and activities that support the ‘possum room’ children to be confident and involved learners – actively exploring at their own pace and through their individual interests and needs.
(3 – 4 years)
Our team is 2 educators with 22 children
As in all our rooms, experienced educators work closely with each family to ensure a smooth transition between home and care.
Our qualified Emu room educators (including a 4 year Early Childhood qualified teacher – in transition) continue to support the growing independence of each child as they build their individual identities and understanding of the world around them.
The care and learning experiences, along with relationships and interactions ensure each child feels a sence of belonging.
The engaging atmosphere of the Emu room is relaxed and happy as the educators and children actively work together and share decision making for collaborative learning.
As in the other rooms of the centre, our educators adopt a wholistic approach to planning for and facilitating learning. Children are supported to follow and explore their interests.
After School Care
2 or 3 educators / 20 children
We offer a small after school care program to children from Wellers Hill State School. Each afternoon, under the watchful eye of our staff, children walk and talk their way down to the centre.
Many of the children who attend our after school care program attended the center in their early years – it’s lovely for us to watch them continue to grow. Some ‘schoolies’ will have siblings in our long day care program, so afternoons can be a lovely time to catch up and share a cuddle.
After a busy day at school our program offers time to unwind with the aim of this program being on social and recreational activities, including exploration and games in the beautiful park located behind the centre. Other activities include board / table games, crafts, sports and cooking. Homework is optional.
Please Note: The centre does not provide Before School Care or Vacation Care.
Queensland Government Approved Kindergarten Program / Koala Room
(3.6 – 5 years)
Our team is 3 educators / 26 children
Monday to Friday – 8.00am – 4.30pm (in conjunction with wrap around long day care)
Our Kindergarten class incorporates BUSH KINDY
Our teaching team in the Kindergarten includes a 4 years qualified Early Childhood Teacher with over 25 years’ experience in early childhood education work to implement an exciting Queensland Government Approved Kindergarten Program.
Be assured, our teaching team will prepare your child (and you!) with many readiness skills for that transition to school.
As our teacher and assistant educators are qualified, experienced professionals – you can be confident they are drawing on knowledge (along with family input) to question and reflect, plan and program, guide and support each child – emotionally, socially, creatively and physically.
Our team aim to create an environment where your child feels safe and secure – encouraging them to be involved learners, keen to share their voice for creating a child initiated program.
When developing the learning program for the Kindergarten room, many factors are considered.
- The individual needs of each child
- The observed interests of the group
- The needs of children as they move into formal schooling
- The guidelines of the National Framework – The Early Years Learning Framework.
- The Queensland Kindergarten Learning Guidelines
- The Continua of Learning and Development (QLD Kindergarten learning guideline companion)
Further to this and inline with legislative requirements:
- A minimum of 2 days attendance ensures children access the Kindergarten program for 15 hours each week; this operates in conjunction with wrap around child care from 7am to 6pm.
- The Kindergarten Program is accessed in line with the teacher’s weekly roster (displayed at the centre).
- The Kindergarten Program is available 48 weeks of the year.
- Two sit down parent / teacher catch-ups are scheduled across the year, while a ‘Transition Statement’ will be provided for children moving onto Prep.
Learning Involving Families and Teachers (LIFT)
Tarragindi Child Care & Development utilises LIFT (Learning Involving Families & Teachers), an online Early Childhood Programming and Documentation program, in each room. LIFT is a simple online service for early childhood professionals to safely and securely document child learning and lesson planning. LIFT is a product of Raise Learning and designed by a team of experienced Early Childhood professionals. What is so amazing about LIFT is that it is completely collaborative; where teachers, children and families can work together online. LIFT is also compatible with most smart phone browsers, which teachers and families can use to quickly upload or view information.
Benefits of LIFT
- Your information is completely secure, stored and accessed via a password protected SSL secure environment (the same level as security provided with online banking).
- Families can view and comment on observations taken of their child/children.
- Families can share their own observations of learning from home.
- Families can view and comment on the latest programs on offer for their child.
- Families can provide feedback and share ideas on their child’s overall assessments.
LIFT allows families to log online and be a part of their child’s learning and development. You can add observations of what you child is achieving at home, document their likes and dislikes, recommend activities that you would like to see your child doing and upload photos of your child achieving mile stones in their development.
Tarragindi Child Care & Development
311 Toohey Road Tarragindi QLD 4121
Ph: 3892 6044
Tarragindi Child Care & Development is located in Brisbane’s South.
The centre is close to bus routes / stops.
From the North, take the Marshall Rd exit on the South East Freeway.
From the South, take the Gaza Rd exit on the South East Freeway.